Sunday, April 14, 2013

Guarding the Brand II

CHC is not about Kong Hee, its about God - a platform for the glory of His Kingdom.

I am in no position to judge nor am I qualified, but the best way for those facing legal judgement is to take a step back. Maybe they should take Sabbathical leave from key position within the CHC management so as to allow the church, function without their involvement till all those allegations are settled.

My Brother, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. James 1:2-3

In the mist of your life-changing trial, remember that God is still at work.


A Statement from Kong Hee dated 9 April 2013

The Commissioner of Charities has just announced that it intends to remove 8 individuals, including myself, from the exercise of their respective offices in CHC.  It has also given a press release on this earlier today.

Here are my thoughts on this matter.

First, I have only just received a 227-page report by the COC containing allegations against all 8 individuals.  This is currently under review by our lawyers.  However, I am confident that there is no basis for the COC’s actions and I will in due course make the appropriate representations to the COC.

Second, I am happy that the COC has decided not to take any action against Sun and has now vindicated her.  Sun and I were always confident that there would have been no basis to take any action against her even though the COC had suspended her earlier.

Third, as regards this present step, I am surprised why the COC has decided to embark on this course of action.  The COC has never explained how CHC’s property is allegedly at risk, such that it was necessary to issue suspension orders in 2012 and removal orders in 2013.  Notwithstanding my views above as to the lack of merits of the suspension and removal order, I had agreed with the COC that it would be expedient and practical for a voluntary suspension to be in place until 6 months after the conclusion of the criminal proceedings.  The issues raised in both proceedings are related, and the AGC is involved in both sets of proceedings.  I would add that, in fact, it was the COC who made the proposal to me to defer until the criminal proceedings are disposed of, on condition that all 9 affected individuals agree.  The COC had also agreed that this would be entirely without admission to liability and without prejudice to my rights.  In February 2013, both Sun and I accepted the COC’s offer.

Subsequently however, the COC informed me that the premise on which I had agreed to the voluntary suspension had changed.  This was apparently because they were not able to get everyone to agree with them.  This is however not something that is within my control.  I also did not see how this would alter the fact that Sun and I had already agreed to the voluntary suspension on their terms, and I informed COC accordingly.  It was after this that the COC has now decided to pursue this course of action.

Clearly, the COC was itself of the view that it would be more expedient for this matter to be dealt with only after the criminal trial was entirely disposed of.  This was clear from their own offer to me, which also provided that the consent would be without admission of liability and also without prejudice to my rights.  Yet, it now imposes a deadline on me to respond to the COC a mere 2 days before the commencement of the criminal trial.  I will therefore seek clarification from the COC on this point.

In the meantime, I understand that the Commissioner of Charities has assured the CHC Board that I will not be prevented from preaching at CHC’s services.  This is only fair as there is no basis for the COC to encroach on the services of the church.  I look forward to being in church to worship God with my friends and family.  I hope that you continue to keep me, my family and the church in your thoughts and prayers.

Kong


City Harvest Scandal: It'll be over by next year, Kong tells churchgoers
By Jermyn Chow & Melody Zaccheus And Lim Yi Han

City Harvest Church founding pastor Kong Hee rallied his congregation during the weekend's church services, telling them that by next year, "everything should be all over".

This was the first time that he had spoken to churchgoers since the Commissioner of Charities (COC) said last Tuesday that it is acting to remove him and seven church leaders from office over multimillion-dollar corruption allegations.

Its bid to oust them is the latest setback that City Harvest - with over 19,800 active followers - has suffered since Kong was among around a dozen of its leaders questioned after complaints about church finances in 2010.

Yesterday, he assured his congregation: "You've been holding on for three years. One more year. One more year and it will be all over."

WHAT KONG SAID

Reassuring his congregation

    "You've been holding on for three years. One more year. One more year and it will be all over."

On his innocence

    "And yes, I do maintain my integrity."

Tempering the church's optimism

    "While I don't know what is going to happen one year from now, I don't know will I still be standing here, but (from) the way you clap, I better be standing here."

2 comments:

  1. City Harvest Church founding pastor Kong Hee rallied his congregation during the weekend's church services, telling them that by next year, "everything should be all over".

    what he meant to say is...by the courtesy of our lenient legal system towards religious leaders....he will be back in full action soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a religious person but I believe in god. To me religion is but a man created language to communicate with "his" God.
    The more he spreads his language the more powerful he becomes. The powerful he gets, the more control he has over his followers. This is when the line becomes blurred between "cult" and "religion". I do not want to make a judgement but to me, cult leaders benefit from the sacrifices of their followers and then to live a life of luxury, contrary to the religious leaders. Great saints lived lived simple lifes, not in $20 luxury homes and designer clothes. By the way Kong Hee was my classmate during pre-university days.

    ReplyDelete